Writing a resume is important but it can also be tough. Because this document will represent you to a potential employer, you have to make sure that everything you put in there will build you up and somehow make you more interesting in their eyes. More than that, you also have to know how to edit information so that the data that you will be giving them is just right for the job that you are applying for.
All those seem to make resume writing a little difficult right? But do not be intimidated because writing a resume can be easy. You just have to identify what you need to write in it and you will be good to go. Now if you are a bit clueless in that area, then here is a list to guide you.
1. Start with your past and current job experiences. When you list them down, make sure that you do not just include your job title but your job description as well. All these details will give your potential employer ideas about your capabilities and from there decide if you are suited for the job.
Note however that while enumerating your job experiences is important, you do not necessarily have to include everything. You can omit certain jobs that are not really relevant to the position you are currently applying for.
2. Training certifications received and licenses that you have acquired. These are extremely important if you are applying for a highly technical job like becoming a doctor or chemist perhaps.
3. Special skills. Apart from your job experiences, these skills will be your selling point. So make certain that you include everything that you are capable of doing including computer programming, creating presentations and manipulating certain equipment or gadgets if necessary.
4. Educational background. State in bullet form how far you’ve gone, where you graduated from and when. You do not really need to go as far back as elementary. Starting with your secondary education would definitely do.
5. A list of your personal references and their phone numbers. This list will be handy so that if your potential employer wants to do a background check, they can easily call away.
6. Finally, your do not forget to include your contact information. This is perhaps the most important set of information. Without it, you can consider your application 100% unsuccessful.
Those are some of the information that you have to put in your resume. Now that you know of them already, the next thing that you would have to do is figure out a way how you can arrange them systematically. And that brings us to our next topic to discuss – resume formats.