John S. Doe, ESQ.
444 Waterville Street, Exeter, NH 03833
(W) 603-555-1212 • (C) 603-555-1212 • Email: email@example.com
Member, Massachusetts Bar (1999), Connecticut Bar (1999), New Hampshire Bar (2006)
Broad legal background with more than 10 years of experience in commercial transactions and litigation. A combination of corporate and law firm practice working with a wide variety of business organizations. Possess strong written and verbal skills, combined with excellent research abilities.
- Drafted and negotiated client, vendor, and subcontractor agreements—domestic and international— covering professional services, the purchase of goods and materials, joint ventures, software licensing, and employment. Successfully negotiated agreements with government agencies, including the Army Corps of Engineers, the New York City Department of Environmental Protection, and the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority; industrial clients such as Bristol Myers and Abbott Labs; and vendors such as Xerox and AT&T.
- Worked closely with business and professional services teams to resolve complex contractual issues and negotiate terms and conditions into final contracts for engineering and consulting services.
- Assisted clients with corporate formations, including filing incorporation documents and foreign corporation registrations, drafting operating and partnership agreements, creating articles of incorporation and bylaws, and obtaining professional licenses. Representative Matters: (1) Supported a mortgage brokerage firm's regional expansion plan by negotiating real estate leases and vendor agreements, filing foreign corporation registrations, and obtaining state mortgage broker licenses. (2) For a team of investors, set up an LLC for a mixed-use property, created a partnership agreement, negotiated a purchase agreement for the property, provided recommendations on obtaining financing, and established a real property trust.
- Represented buyers, sellers, and lenders on business purchase and sales. Transactions have included engineering and professional services firms, software and technology businesses, medical and veterinary practices and restaurants.
- Worked with clients in support of various business and real estate development activities. Services included forming corporate entities, drafting appropriate operating agreements and other corporate documents, and structuring transactions to comply with IRS regulations. Representative Matters: (1) Assisted a team of investors who owned a four fitness center franchises to use self-directed IRA funds to finance the successful opening of six more franchises. (2) Worked with a team of investors to structure the financing of a $2.5 million commercial real estate development.
- Assisted clients with environmental issues related to permitting, transactional due diligence and land development. Representative Matters: (1) Provided legal support and guidance to the seller of a mixed use
- property with subsurface petroleum contamination. (2) Represented the lessees of a contaminated commercial property where the contamination was not disclosed prior to the execution of the lease agreement. (3) Assisted a non-profit organization with development plans inside a protected shoreland area.
- Provided recommendations and legal support to clients concerning environmental compliance. Representative matters: (1) Assisted a developer with wetlands issues on a mixed use commercial development, including obtaining all appropriate permits and approvals. (2) Provided guidance to a developer concerning the proper disposal of fill materials.
Support to Environmental, Engineering, and Construction Project Teams
- Provided guidance to project teams on various laws, including RCRA, CERCLA, CWA, and CAA
John S. Doe, ESQ.
~ Page 2 ~
regulations; municipal bidding and construction laws; building codes; OSHA regulations; and federal and state Freedom of Information Acts.
- Supplied legal assistance to environmental engineering and consulting teams on property transfers, including due diligence for property purchases and mergers and acquisitions, and negotiations with regulatory agencies.
- Participated in drafting and revising construction contract documents.
- Provided recommendations on the electronic delivery of construction documents.
Commercial Real Estate and Development
- Prepared numerous commercial real estate contracts and commercial lease agreements.
- Assisted clients and project teams with land use issues, including zoning and permitting.
- Reviewed property titles, resolved property lien issues, and performed closings for commercial real estate transactions.
- Provided legal review for project teams drafting Requests for Proposals (RFPs) on behalf of municipal clients.
- Provided legal research assistance to engineers representing municipal clients subject to state and federal regulatory action.
- Drafted a proposed amendment to Connecticut’s Freedom of Information Law to limit the disclosure of information about critical infrastructure. The amendment, designed to protect public safety, became effective in September of 2004.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Represented clients in a variety of commercial and business disputes. Representative Matters: (1) Represented the lessees of a commercial property with undisclosed groundwater contamination issues in a breach of lease case which involved a counterclaim for fraudulent misrepresentation and business losses. (2) Represented the sellers of a 42-acre commercial property in a multi-party suit based on breach of contract.
- Served as in-house counsel on litigation matters including commercial and contract disputes, customer insolvencies, employment issues, and personal injury and workers’ compensation claims. Representative Matters: (1) Favorably resolved a multiparty dispute involving a $1.2- million municipal project halted with $400,000 in invoices outstanding. (2) Phone and data services provider billed firm more than $100,000 in erroneous charges. Reviewed contractual terms and persuaded the vendor to drop the entire claim.
- Supervised production of electronic data/information pursuant to discovery requests, and participated in developing policies and procedures for streamlining electronic data production.
Intellectual Property and Technology
- Assisted project teams with various intellectual property issues. Representative Matters: (1) Provided
strategies to an ultra violet (UV) water treatment technology team for avoiding patent litigation, thereby permitting the team’s continued work. (2) Developed a license agreement for a sophisticated computer-based financial model for municipal water utilities. The financial model was ultimately sold to dozens of clients.
- Created data collection policies and drafted privacy policies for Internet sites.
- Drafted policies protecting company trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
- Negotiated service level agreements with Internet service and software applications providers. Helped technical staff establish procedures to monitor providers' compliance with contractual obligations.
John S. Doe, ESQ.
~ Page 3 ~
- PARTNER, Doe Law Firm, PC, Exeter, NH (2005– Present) [Start-up law firm specializing in real estate and corporate law matters that grew to five attorneys within two years
- SENIOR ASSOCIATE, Belvedere & Marcus, PC, Newburyport, MA (2003 - 2005) [3-office law firm specializing in real estate matters]
- ASSISTANT COUNSEL, Cleanwaters, Inc., Armonk, NY (2000 - 2004) [$300-million industry leader providing engineering and consulting services from 28 offices nationwide]
- LAW CLERK, Cleanwaters, Inc., Armonk, NY (1999-2000)
- INTERNET APPLICATIONS DEVELOPER, Cleanwaters, Inc., Armonk, NY (1997-1999)
- MARKETING COORDINATOR, Cleanwaters, Inc., Armonk, NY (1995-1997)
JD, Fordham University School of Law, New York, NY, 1999
Honors: Dean’s List, Fall 1997 and Spring 1998
BA, Economics, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 1994
Board Member, New England Alternative Energy Coalition
Download Full Image