Drafting a successful resume requires time and patience. You cannot just sit and write a resume for any job vacancy. It is important that you should know that the main purpose of drafting a professional and successful resume is to apply for some specific job post. This is applicable for both a fresher and an experienced person. A well-drafted and professional resume will lead to an interview round with the recruiter for the related job profile. Just make sure that the information in your resume is correct, relevant and to the best of your knowledge. Let us have a sample resume template, as it will provide you the best answer for "how to write a successful resume".
Sample Resume Template
- Contact information - This is the first section of the resume that comprises of the full name of the applicant, the address of correspondence, email address and telephone number. This is one of the most important sections of the resume because this is the only possible way that the employer can contact you for a further talk or an interview session.
- Objective - This section comprises of two things; one is the purpose or aim for drafting the resume, and the other is the position, which you are applying for. Be specific and precise in providing the information, i.e. do not just unnecessarily lengthen the section. Also show your eagerness in joining the organization as per their schedule.
- Skills - Skills comprise of the professional skills, technical skills and other non-technical skills that the applicant has gained from his / her previous and current organization. Qualities include the strength of the candidate applying for the job. Ensure that you justify your qualities and skills set. Use bullet points to mention these and make sure that your list does not exceed more than 6 bullet points.
- Professional Summary - This is the section that is valid for an experienced person, as he / she needs to mention the total tenure of his / her work experience, along with a short summary of the job details. Mention the important roles and responsibilities that you undertook in your previous organization, which is important for the current job opening. Make sure that the professional summary is not too lengthy; otherwise it can irritate the recruiter and they may simply ignore your resume. This section can be skipped if you have a short job experience of 3 - 6 years.
- Working Experience- This section is only required for the experienced people and it contains the current and past designation of the candidate, name of the company, duration of the work and the duties and responsibilities that the candidate undertook in the current and past organizations. This section is written in reverse chronological order i.e. the starting from the current job till the first job of the career. Do mention the previous work experience as well because it adds an advantage to your profile.
- Academic Qualifications- Academic qualification includes the full history of your academic qualifications. It includes the name of the course, university name, year of passing and the duration of the course. This information is basically important for the fresher's, since they do not possess any industry experience. Fresher can mention the project details that comprise of in-house project as well as internship that you have completed, in place of work experience. Try to write a short summary of the projects along with your individual contribution. If you have any certification course or diploma degree, do mention it as it strengthens your profile to a great extent. It is advised to tabulate your academic profile in reverse chronological order, if you are an entry level candidate with no work experience, except projects to mention in your resume.
- Activities and Achievements - Activities include the action or responsibility that you undertook while organizing cultural event, social event, tech fest or any other events, but this is not include your work activities. On the other hand, achievements refer to the awards that you receive from your organization for your good work and efforts.
- Reference - Reference section plays an important role in getting a job in any of the reputed organization. It includes referral's name, designation along with the name of the organization the referral is working in, email id and contact numberof the referral. You can mention up to 2 references in your resume.
- Other Personal Details - If you feel that your resume is not long enough, you can mention other personal details like social security number, citizenship, marital status, license number and date of birth and end your resume.
The above sample resume template will provide you the correct solution to the question "how to draft a successful resume". But make sure that the resume is not too lengthy and that it contains correct information. Avoid the use of flowery languages in drafting your resume, but use professional formatting such as font-name "Times New Roman or Calibri or Arial" with font-size 12, and alignment 'justified'. Keep a consistent format throughout the resume and proofread the resume 2-3 times before mailing it to the recruiter. You can use bullet points to describe the suctions and sub-sections of the resume, as it will look more attractive and appealing. Make sure that the resume should look professional so that the recruiter is compelled to set an interview drive with you.